D&D role playing forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The journey halted

2 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

The journey halted - Page 3 Empty Re: The journey halted

Post by Valor Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:07 pm

Valor takes out the small bag of gold and throws it down to him. "Work. The only question is how long do we keep this up. I'm not realizing any dreams by working all day." He collapses onto the floor exhausted by the days work and pulls the blanket over him. He lays thinking to himself what he should do next waiting to see if Aeryn responds to him.

Valor
Admin

https://ddfreeroam.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Elliott the Undying Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:42 pm

Aeryn opens the bag of gold and moves over to give you some room. "4's not bad. I only got 3 and had to pay one for us to sleep here. I feel the same way though. At least we're not in Waymoot anymore. The people are nicer here. Maybe our dreams are already here though. I thought about going to see what that monk can teach me. Order of the Glory Everlasting. Sounds cool. Can't hurt, you know?"
Elliott the Undying
Elliott the Undying

Back to top Go down

Post by Valor Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:47 pm

Valor cringes a little and doesn't respond immediately. He didn't like the idea of going to see the monks, but he also didn't want his friend to go up there alone. "It doesn't sound so cool to me, but if you want to go I'll check it out with you." Valor turns over onto his side and waits a minute or two, too see if Aeryn says anything else. If he doesn't Valor will fall asleep.

Valor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Elliott the Undying Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:10 pm

Aeryn sighs. "Anytime you have a break tomorrow, come and get me here. We'll go and check them out together. Goodnight."

You sleep through the night and are awakened by the innkeeper's boot. "Ay, you lot. Git to working or git out of my way working." Aeryn gets up, "Remember, come get me when you wanna go to the monks."
Elliott the Undying
Elliott the Undying

Back to top Go down

Post by Valor Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:44 am

Valor walks outside and goes around town some. He decided not to work today. But instead he'd just go around and get a feel for the town. It was really big it filled with the hustle of several people all trying to do what they needed to do and not taking time to talk to one another. It was really kind of depressing. He finds a place to sit and think about what to do next. He knew there was an arena in Suzail. But he'd have to live long enough to make it there let alone live through the fights. He puts his arms behind his head and leans against a building. This was going to be harder then he thought. But maybe the monks could help him. He cringed a bit at the idea but like Aeryn said it couldn't hurt to try. So he walked back to the inn around lunch time. "Hey Aeryn, ready to go?"

Valor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Elliott the Undying Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:52 am

Aeryn is cleaning shot glasses with a rag. "Oh, you're ready now? Sure, just a sec." He walks over to you with a smile. "Let's do this." The Order is not hard to find, you just follow the signs to the temple of Heironeous. The monastery is separate from the main temple, and the gate is open. Inside, a couple dozen monks in their blue robes are all standing in straight rows practicing forms. Aeryn looks unsure, "Do we interrupt them, or what?"
Elliott the Undying
Elliott the Undying

Back to top Go down

Post by Valor Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:05 am

Valor takes a few steps forward through the gate. "They left it open, just be on your guard. They might get ticked." He continues to walk toward the monks.

Valor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Elliott the Undying Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:00 am

A monk from the line second from the front breaks off from the form and approaches you. You recognize him as the monk from the first night. "Ah, you made it. Welcome to the Order of the Glory Everlasting. I promised you lessons didn't I? Come, come. What is it you seek from us?" Aeryn says, "You were going to teach us how to defend ourselves so we don't get beat up again." "I did, and I shall." The monk gives you a two hour lesson on the basics of strikes. It is really basic stuff you already know: punches, palm strikes, and elbows. He teaches rotation points and what part of the body to strike with. He is very patient with Aeryn even though he is a fast learner. He spares you the religious aspects of Heironeous because teaching the defenseless to defend themselves already fulfills the Arch-Paladin's dogma. After the lesson, he says, "Thank you for coming to visit us. If you want to come back tomorrow, I can teach you more. I have duties to which I must attend now, and I bid you farewell."
Elliott the Undying
Elliott the Undying

Back to top Go down

Post by Valor Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:23 am

Valor bows to him. "Thank you for your time." Valor walks out of the monastery slightly disappointed that he didn't learn anything but also more confident that he knew everything that the monk wanted to teach them. "So Aeryn did you want to come back? I don't know how often we could do this without working."

Valor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Elliott the Undying Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:39 am

Aeryn seems excited after the lesson. "We could take a couple hours out of every day and still work, couldn't we? We're making enough to cover our costs and keep some. A couple weeks of working and training with the monks, and I think we'll have enough money and be good enough fighters to take on the world. We could go anywhere in Cormyr after just a couple weeks of working and training like this."
Elliott the Undying
Elliott the Undying

Back to top Go down

Post by Valor Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:11 am

Valor gives a fake smile but really didn't like the idea. But then again it could work training with the monks. It didn't mean he actually had to become one. "Alright we could do that. Just a few weeks and we can take on the world. That's an idea that I can get behind." His fake smile changes a little and becomes a real smile.

Valor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Elliott the Undying Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:37 pm

Aeryn smiles, "Sounds like a plan. I'm gonna go back to work. See you tonight!" He runs off in the direction of the inn he works at.
Elliott the Undying
Elliott the Undying

Back to top Go down

Post by Valor Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:20 pm

Valor waves to him as they run off in separate directions. He decides to try and see if he can work for Gregario for the next few weeks. When he arrives at the inn he looks around for Gregario. When Valor finds him he runs up and directly asks. "Hey, so can I work here for a few weeks?" Then he waits for a response.

Valor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Elliott the Undying Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:29 pm

Gregorio is filling a couple drink orders when you ask. His frown gets slightly less frowny when he sees you."Hey, kid. Work as long as ya'd like. Ya cook good, ya get paid good. Somebody asked where ya was this morning. Apparently they likes their bacon chewier like you make it. Wash ya hands, and get cooking, kid. People is gunna be coming in for dinner any time now."

Roll 11 cooking checks.
Elliott the Undying
Elliott the Undying

Back to top Go down

Post by Valor Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:02 am

Valor smiles at his response and goes into the kitchen, he washes his hands and gets to work making their food. If he didn't want more excitement in his life this would actually be just fine with him. Maybe when he retired he would be a cook. But for now it was just an enjoyable job.

Cooking checks: +6

Valor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Valor Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:02 am

The member 'Valor' has done the following action : Dices roll

'd20' : 3, 4, 17, 18, 2, 16, 5, 19, 15, 10, 11

Valor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Elliott the Undying Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:42 am

It's a slow night, so Gregorio is watching over your shoulder while you cook. He catches a few things that can make your meals better. "Don't put that much salt, ya wanna give the guy a heart attack, kid? Throw some more in there and spread that salt around." "That garlic butter's been simmering too long, kid. It's probably burnt to hell. I told ya to keep an eye on it. Ya better not spread that on that lady's bread." All in all, not a bad thing leaves the kitchen, and all the plates come back clean. At the end of the day, as you're washing the dishes and cookware, Gregorio asks, "So where'd ya come from, kid? What's ya story?"
Elliott the Undying
Elliott the Undying

Back to top Go down

Post by Valor Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:53 am

(the first character I didn't make a background for)

Valor continues washes dishes and doesn't look up at Gregorio. "I'm from Waymoot, me and a friend travelled here just a few days ago. But we're pretty poor so we had to find work the moment we got here."

Valor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Elliott the Undying Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:53 pm

Gregorio nods over the sink, "Yeah, that's the way it is these days. The king need his taxes, the governors needs their taxes, customers doesn't wanna pay full price for nothing, and what's that leave for us working people? More work to stay alive, that's what. I hear Waymoot's a tough place, kid. It's good ya made it outta there." The dishes are finished, and Gregorio gives you 3 gold.
Elliott the Undying
Elliott the Undying

Back to top Go down

Post by Valor Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:01 pm

Valor bows, "Thanks, see you tomorrow." He walks out of the inn. And around the town up toward the monastery. He sits outside the gate and watches as the monks do their various activities. When it starts to get dark he heads back to the inn that Aeryn works in and heads for their usual sleeping place.

Valor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Elliott the Undying Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:11 pm

Aeryn is waiting for you, and puts your money in his pouch. You work for the next 13 days and train with the monks every day for two hours around lunch time. At the end of the two weeks, you have 84 gold between both of you. Aeryn really catches on to fighting unarmed and gets really good at cleaning dishes. Because of your time and tutoring under Gregorio, you gain the benefit of Skill focus: Craft (Cooking). Because of your time training with the Order of the Glory Everlasting, you may gain the benefit of one of these feats (I didn't check the prerequisites too closely. If you want one with a bogus prerequisite, I'll give it to you anyway.):  

flying kick (Complete Warrior)
Earth’s Embrace (complete warrior)
Scorpion’s grasp (sandstorm)
Roundabout kick (Complete warrior)
Clever wrestling (Complete Warrior)
Superior unarmed strike (Tome of Battle)
Prone attack (Complete Warrior)
Dash (Complete Warrior)
Improved grapple (Player's HB)
Weapon focus: unarmed strike (Player's HB)
(If you have another feat in mind, shoot it my way and I'll see if I'll allow it.)
Elliott the Undying
Elliott the Undying

Back to top Go down

Post by Valor Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:44 am

(that prone attack looks beautiful)

Valor meets up Aeryn after work. "Well we have money, we have training. But I'm not confident enough to join the arena at Suzail yet. So do you have any plans for what you wanted to do?"

Valor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Elliott the Undying Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:09 am

(lightning reflexes is stupid anyway.) It takes you two weeks to learn how to stand up, but the monks teach you how to attack from the ground and stand up quickly.

Aeryn looks unsure. "We set out from Waymoot to go to Eveningstar originally, but I'm not sure what's going to be there for us. I think I'd like to at least see the fights in the arena to know whether I want to do them or not. I'm all for you doing them if you want, but... I just don't know if that's for me."

(Now that we're sort of at a break here, write down an exhaustive list of Valor's personality characteristics. It can be a word document; it doesn't have to be here. Think about why you made him the way he is and why you said you wanted to be like him. Why has he handled everything so far the way he has? Also, are you wanting to continue the self exploration and ultra-realism now that you're considering fighting in the arena?)
Elliott the Undying
Elliott the Undying

Back to top Go down

Post by Valor Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:06 pm

(ultra-realism would probably be bad for the arena.  Self exploration I will continue to do.  But you don't have to DM that way if you don't want to)

Valor ponders for a moment.  "Well, you can watch how much fun I'm having and then join me later." He gives a big smile to Aeryn and starts walking toward the gate.  It had been two weeks since he set out on this adventure. And now it was truly getting started. "Well let's hope that we don't get beat up by wolves this time."

Valor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Elliott the Undying Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:01 pm

(I'll try to throw you an ethical dilemma here and there, but you'll be in hero mode from now on untill you want it otherwise. I'm curious, what did you think of Gregorio?)

You walk out the gate toward Waymoot. If you told Gregorio you were leaving, he shakes your hand and tells you you's welcome anytime. Before night, you meet a caravan headed for Dhedluk. It is more heavily guarded than most caravans you've seen with a few wounded. Before nightfall, you see a few dead men on the side of the road. At nightfall, you both pitch the tent and sleep through the night with no problems. The next day, you wake up and hit the road. Run either a spot or listen check.
Elliott the Undying
Elliott the Undying

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next