D&D role playing forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The journey halted

2 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

The journey halted - Page 2 Empty Re: The journey halted

Post by Valor Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:29 pm

(I understand the feeling)
Valor smiles in relief. "Good enough for you, good enough for me. So when do I start and what's the pay?" He looks up at the man with big eyes and secretly hopes that he'll get a decent amount of money for working here.

Valor
Admin

https://ddfreeroam.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Elliott the Undying Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:53 pm

The inkeeper's frown doesn't budge. "Good enough for them, good enough for you and me. The pay is whatever ya earn, and that's up to me. Ya start whenever the next customer makes an order. First though, you's coming with me." He walks into the back assuming that you'll follow, "Ya eggs was burnt, dummy. Don't nobody in this town like burnt eggs. Maybe where you's from, but not around here." He takes the pan you used and puts it back on the range and narrates as he cooks eggs and sausage his way. "That guy paid 2 gold for what ya served him, and your payment is breakfast and a lesson. First, ya puts the sausage in first. Ya know why? Because it gets the grease in the pan so ya eggs doesn't burn, see? And the eggs doesn't get cold waiting on a plate for the sausage to finish cooking. Double whammy, two reasons, capisce?" He turns around to look at you, putting his thumb, index, and middle fingers together and shaking them at you while flipping the eggs without looking or breaking the yolks. He turns back to his work. "Don't get it wrong again. Ya puts the salt and pepper in the eggs right after ya flip 'em. It gets the flavor in there more deeper like marinating a cut of meat." He finishes the eggs and sausages at the same time, putting them on a plate and thrusting them in your direction. "Here ya go, kid. Ya first meal from Gregorio Ignacio. Don't nobody walk out that door hungry, and that includes you, capisce? Eat up, kid. Travelers is coming in hungry, and you's gonna feed 'em." He walks out to the front and leaves you with your superbly fried sausage and over easy eggs.

His cooking check: +16 (30)

Last edited by Elliott the Undying on Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:58 pm; edited 14 times in total
Elliott the Undying
Elliott the Undying

Back to top Go down

Post by Valor Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:53 pm

The member 'Elliott the Undying' has done the following action : Dices roll

'd20' : 14

Valor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Valor Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:53 pm

(wow I got a legit cooking lesson)

Valor eats his breakfast attempting to savour the taste but finding a hard time to wait because of how hungry he was. After all he hadn't eaten all day. When he was done he went out the door of the kitchen and waited for instructions on what to do next.

Valor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Elliott the Undying Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:17 pm

Gregorio takes an order and yells to you, "This guy wants three slices of seared ham and biscuits with gravy on top." He comes into the back with you. "Now look, kid. The ham cooks nice and easy, but ya do it last. I'll teach you how to make the biscuits whenever we run out, but we still got a few left. Grab two and break 'em in half and put 'em on a plate. I got a big pot of gravy I keep on the warmer over there. Stir it to get the film of flour off the top and put some on top of them biscuits. Now hurry up, kid, the guy's waiting on you here, not me!" He pulls a slab of ham out of an ice box. He cuts a thick slice of ham and hands you the knife. "I usually cut it about one finger thick, but you's gonna need two or three. We ain't no fancy meat shaving elves around here, kid. Nice and thick. Sear it nice and quick in the pan so there's still a little raw strip in the middle, put it on the plate, and take it out to the guy with the beard at the bar. Come on now, there's someone else walking in!"

(Craft: cooking check)

Last edited by Elliott the Undying on Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Elliott the Undying
Elliott the Undying

Back to top Go down

Post by Valor Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:09 pm

Valor quickly goes to work grabbing two biscuits and breaking them in half on the plate.  Then he walks over to the gravy pot and stirs it for a minute before covering the biscuits, and proceeds to place the pot back on the burner.  He grabs the meat and places 3 fingers on it and cuts the length, he sears it for just a little over a minute trying to follow instructions.  And places it on the plate.  He watched the steam roll off of the food and thought he did a pretty good job.  He takes it out to the costumer and places it down in front of him.  "Here is your breakfast sir, please enjoy."

Cooking check: +6 (12)

Last edited by Valor on Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

Valor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Valor Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:09 pm

The member 'Valor' has done the following action : Dices roll

'd20' : 6

Valor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Elliott the Undying Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:41 pm

The large bearded customer grunts, "Yep," and starts noisily slurping up his gravy covered biscuits. He gets gravy in his beard. It's gross.

Several customers come in and out each ordering various breakfast dishes. Whenever you have to make something new, Gregorio shows you once how to do it his way.

(Roll 8 cooking checks. So you know, simple meals are DC 10. If you say something specifically wrong in your process, and you still make the DC, that thing will still go wrong like the eggs getting burned when you put them in a dry pan even though you made the check.)
Elliott the Undying
Elliott the Undying

Back to top Go down

Post by Valor Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:49 pm

(I don't understand how having grease in a pan makes them not burn but I'll take your word for it.)

Valor continues working making the different orders that people want.

cooking checks: +6

Valor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Valor Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:49 pm

'd20' : 2, 18, 2, 20, 19, 15, 18, 16

Valor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Elliott the Undying Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:30 am

(Eggs stick really easily. Try making eggs in a dry pan sometime. You'll see.)

Throughout the breakfast hours, you make 6 breakfasts that you're really proud of. However, you make one guy's hotcakes with water instead of milk, but, when the customer complains about them being flat, Gregorio plays it off as an elven crepe. Another patron orders eggs that you accidentally leave shells in. Gregorio gets impatient with you for that one. "Listen, ya dummy. You take the shells outta the eggs when you crack 'em. What? Nobody taught ya that? Next order, kid. Don't screw this one up."

(What's going through Valor's mind and heart right now?)
Elliott the Undying
Elliott the Undying

Back to top Go down

Post by Valor Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:49 pm

(I tried making eggs this morning, I understand now)

Valor does his best to make the food, paying close attention to the eggs since he seems to mess up on those a lot. He doesn't like the fact that he keeps getting scolded but if that is what it took to get gold, then he would do it. He didn't just have to take care of himself any more. Him and Aeryn were now in this together.

Valor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Elliott the Undying Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:51 pm

Lunch time starts rolling around, and people start ordering breads, roasted meats, fruits, vegetables, and nuts. Gregorio shows you what combination of spices/herbs to use in boiling poultry vs stewing/roasting red meat. He shows you how to boil vegetables and bake breads with the different grains farmed in Cormyr. He shows you how to stuff mushrooms, and what cheeses to serve with what meats.

Roll 12 cooking checks.
Elliott the Undying
Elliott the Undying

Back to top Go down

Post by Valor Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:58 pm

Valor tries to take in as much knowledge as possible and remember it all. He was actually kinda happy that he was now able to learn to cook better. It was certainly something he always wanted to learn how to do. As the day went on and people started ordering lunch he even found himself smiling as he cooked.

Cooking checks: +6

Valor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Valor Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:58 pm

'd20' : 11, 18, 20, 10, 7, 12, 2, 19, 9, 2, 3, 12

Valor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Elliott the Undying Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:41 pm

Your positivity seems to leak into the food as you cook it, and most of it turns out really well. However, you get mixed up and accidentally make small mistakes when you've got more than one order you're working on. Beef instead of turkey here, rye bread instead of barley bread there. Gregorio brings up every mistake you make and criticizes everything you do wrong, but he doesn't make a big deal about them until you give a customer some roasted pheasant that's a little under-cooked. The man complains to Gregorio, "Hey! You! Are you trying to poison me or something?"
"Hey, guy. Why don't ya calm down and stop talkin' to me like I'm some kind of food assassin. What's wrong with ya bird?"
"See that? That there in the middle? That's raw meat. You know what happens when people eat raw bird? They get sick, and some die. I don't know what kind of business you're trying to run here by killing your customers off, but I'm having none of it!" The man gets up and walks out.
"Fine then, ya ass rat! Get ya picky tail outta my inn. I don't want ya crap. I don't want ya crap personality, I don't want ya crap face, and I don't want ya crap gold neither! Sheesh!"
Gregorio comes into the back with the plate of pheasant and shoves it in your face as you're pulling bread out of an oven. "Look here, kid. This bird ain't raw, but it ain't done all the way neither. Now I know you ain't stupid. Ya need. To cook. Ya birds. All. the way. Through. Capisce? That guy was stupid getting all worked up and leaving, but ya still cost me his tab, see?" He tosses the plate of pheasant on a counter and leaves it for you to clean up. "It's coming out of ya pay, and don't ya do it again!" He goes out and starts taking and giving you peoples' orders again. The next moment it's like he was never upset with you.

Dinner starts rolling around. Roll 13 cooking checks.
Elliott the Undying
Elliott the Undying

Back to top Go down

Post by Valor Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:18 pm

Valor thinks as he cooks.  He couldn't understand why his boss was mad at him one minute and then wasn't the next minute.  If this kept up he was going to have a mental breakdown.  But for now he was still cooking and still getting payed.  So he'd just ignore it the best he could and try to get scolded at less.

cooking checks: +6

Valor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Valor Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:18 pm

'd20' : 7, 20, 9, 8, 7, 13, 7, 9, 2, 2, 17, 10, 2

Valor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Elliott the Undying Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:11 am

(The dice gods must really like you to not have a 1 out of all these rolls.)

You cook several meals. You're tired and near the end of the day, you start slipping on orders and serve a few burnt or cold dishes. Gregorio lets you know every time what you should have done. Near the end of the day, you hear more people having fun and drinking. Eventually Gregorio comes in the back and starts washing dishes with you. "Ya done good, kid. I expected ya to walk out by lunch."
Elliott the Undying
Elliott the Undying

Back to top Go down

Post by Valor Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:01 am

Valor looks up at Gregorio with a straight face. "I need money, I'll just work until I get it." He begins to think of Aeryn and what he did all day. A smile comes across his face. "Thank you for your guidance on everything today, I appreciate it."

Valor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Elliott the Undying Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:43 am

Gregorio grunts, "Yeah, well, when life takes away ya help and leaves ya with an inn to run on your own, ya take whatever help ya can get." He shakes the water from his hands and dries them with a towel. "If you's here for money, I got some for ya out front."

Last edited by Elliott the Undying on Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:02 pm; edited 2 times in total
Elliott the Undying
Elliott the Undying

Back to top Go down

Post by Valor Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:30 am

Valor walks out front with Gregorio, and waits patiently for him to get out the money.

Valor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Elliott the Undying Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:35 am

Gregorio gives you 4 gold. "Come back tomorrow if you want more. Now go home."
Elliott the Undying
Elliott the Undying

Back to top Go down

Post by Valor Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:20 am

Valor takes the 4 gold and puts it into his pocket then bows to Gregorio. "Thank you for everything." He runs out of the inn. And back to the inn that Aeryn was at earlier. Now happy that he had earned at least a little bit of money and combined with whatever Aeryn earned they could be off to a good start. When he reaches the inn that his friend is in he starts looking around for him.

Valor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Elliott the Undying Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:27 pm

After a few minutes of looking, you find Aeryn lying down behind the bar under the blanket. He looks up at you from the floor. "Hey, bud. What have you been up to all day?"
Elliott the Undying
Elliott the Undying

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next